Wednesday, November 5, 2014

FOCUS: Allen Vincula Concordia

Allen is from Batch Vincula Concordia (my batch) he was a force behind us that hold us together and when we where thinking of quiting he was there to stop us. He was then going to MCU not for the subjects but just to finished being a MEDICUS, then he left and went to the US.

I have funny memories of Allen, he was the one who showed me that for 10 pesos you can have a lot for lunch ending up with LBM (buying 10 pesos worth of "sinangag na mani at gatas at that time"). When our New Dean at that time (Dean Quito) went to see the class and gave an inspirational message about being a doctor. Me and Allen embrace it enthusiastically, that both of us were called to stand up and explained what we where discussing together. I said that it seems to me then, that the end does not justify the means of being an MD (which is what she was saying) and Allen followed it up and told Dra. Quito that she was the most inspirational persona that ever talked to us (as if i do not know what we where talking then).

After the Final Acceptance Ceremonies, he left MCU and went to California to finally be with his parents. The last time that I met Allen was in 1985, he came home from the US and came to visit, not sure whether to continue with his studies or be with his family. A year later he sent a picture to Alon wearing BDU and is is training to be a Marine or so I thought.  He found us after all those years through our BLOG, and he send the email that I posted here.

Brod,

When I left for the States in 86 (or was it 87?), I contemplated on going to medschool. But after I watched my mom and dad drag themselves to work everyday, I decided that would be the wrong thing to do. I enlisted in the Navy at San Diego . Nahalata yata ng Navy na marunong akong magbasa at mag-ganchillo kaya pinag-aral ako sa graduate school (UC San Diego 90). There, I received my MPH – Masters in Public Health.


In 91, I received my commission in the Navy Medical Service Corps with specialty focused on Industrial Hygiene. From there, followed a series of many other duty stations (moving every three years). Currently, I am with the Navy Environmental; Preventive Medicine. We basically own the Pacific when it comes to military public health (from bird flu surveillance to pandemic influenza, any types of disease outbreaks). We’re basically the 911 of Navy Medicine in the Pacific.

I have been back to the Philippines many times, and on a few occasions out to Mindanao; Bicol on humanitarian assistance missions to the Philippine Government. I have been taken away from my technical job at iginapos na ko sa desk to do executive medicine. Para na lang akong politician sa Pinas na nag shu-shuffle ng papel araw araw at naghihintay ng suhol. The Navy has been very good to me through the years.

I married a Hawaii grown Pinay whom I met in the Navy and was formerly a Nurse Corps officer. She’s a family nurse practitioner, and we have two kids (11; 9).

I laughed when you mentioned the script about Sampung Ahas ni Eba!
(allen wrote the script on this one) I vaguely remember. Tanda ko nag present tayo nung graduation where I played Allen Bola (Helen Bola?). Tanda ko rin na I was awarded as the most hated Bata (tama ba yung title?). (You know I’m laughing while I’m writing this dahil nag flow back yung memories about our days). Vivid pa rin sa memory ko yung pinatayo kaming dalawa ni Sam face to face ni Cesar sabay sabing ‘mahal kita Sam’ then it was his turn to return the favor sabay sabing ‘mahal kita Allen”. Yun napamahal tuloy ng husto si Sam sa puso ko!

Tanda na tayo ‘dre! Papabotox muna ko bako mag padala ng picture para naman maunat ng konti. Seriously, I’ll put together some pictures from the Phils. from my last humanitarian mission there last year and I’ll send them to you. Meanwhile, balita mo na lang sa mga brods/sis na we stumbled on each other – I’d appreciate if we could link up on email. Lintek na Archie yan – titi ang hinahanap nun sa Pinas.


O sige, mahaba na to. Mahaba na rin ang pila ng Kano sa labas ng opis ko. Juskupo, sasakit na naman ang butas sa bagang ko sa kakaingles!

Make it a fine Navy day!


Allen


This was a blog entry a while back then intentionally put on hold for some reason. Perhaps it has been awhile and I have not heard from Allen again in a while. The last who saw him was Ceasar Dayahan in Hawaii in 2002. I went to Hawaii in 2003 but we never met or even talked. Hopefully time will come that I will see my brother again.

Alex P MOD 107

1 comment:

Griffin Brooks said...

sildenafil 50 mg is used to treat erectile dysfunction fin males. In men, blood vessels and nerves do not function properly. cenforce 50 mghelps the blood vessels to function properly. Muscles relax after using this drug. cenforce 50 mg can be used as per the advice of the doctor. USA In, there are many online saline drug stores available that offer the best medicines at affordable prices.