Sunday, January 20, 2008

Forever Be A Medicus!












It was year 2000 when I joined in a Prestige Medical Fraternity in MCU-FDTMF College of Medicine. There are a lot of organization that time but the first thing that comes in my mind is what benefit will I get if I join in a Medical Organization. The next question is, if I will join what is the best organization among the rest. The motivation I made that time is, I want an organization which is unique, strong brotherhood bonding, and after I finished my 4 years in med school, I would like to be remembered.

Medicus is the only Medical Fraternity and Sorority which is founded in 1982 by 13 MCU medical students. It is the oldest fraternity still present up to now, and still growing. I believed that the older the organization, the more members and the more active it is. After 4 months of hardship training and initiation, I become a full pledge Medicus member. I and 3 members of my batch (Monet, Rowena, and Monet again) were very fortunate because during that year Medicus Alumni are starting to become dynamic. That was the time that they gather a full support from alumni members financially, conduct medical missions and fund raising campaign. There were also a lot of meetings and activities that time in which I met a bunch of Medicus brothers and sister who are successful doctors in their different fields.

Becoming a medical student is also tough, sometimes you need a lot of resources to pass all the subjects. Thank God I have a lot of active senior Brods and Sis, which is very approachable and willing to help in your studies. They had this old compilation of medical handouts, OTP (old test papers), and summarized notes direct from the Mother Book which offered tremendous help (sometimes) to passed the examinations. It was convenient because you don’t need to read thick books or transcribed blurred projector notes from a lectures. They also gave you some tips or hints on what to read and the most common questions that the professor may ask on the exams.

When I graduated in medical school that was 2003, and I went to a Post Graduate Internship in Manila Adventist Medical Center in Pasay City. I visited my beloved medical school to get some journals to review. I went to the library and a group of medical student who had this black and red Panda ball pen on their right sided chest pocket (left side on the female if I remember). A group of Medicus neophyte who called me Dominus, and I was amazed because they knew my name, roster, batch name, address, birthday, email address, contact numbers and even my mobile number. They ask me to sign on their red and black small notebook which I signed them immediately with this unexplained feeling of elation inside me. I don’t know maybe because these young promising future doctors knew me, or maybe I felt that time that I was very important. It is the same emotion when I exchange a Medicus handshake to brother or sister whom I first met.

Well basically this is it; all of the qualities in a best organization are here. Medici Omnes Duciens Fraternity and Sorority, only one of its kind, the most active alumni and members, and forever be a Medicus.

Robin (MOD 385)
(Picture: Me and my Wife Arvie Dedicatoria-Bacolor, MD. She is a member of Sigma Tau Delta The pioneer sorority of the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery)

1 comment:

MEDICI OMNES DUCIENS said...

Nice entry tol thank you for posting

agp